Walter Rapp Senior Tourney – 2011

By Ray Brodeur

(with some help from Ken Miller)

The Walter Rapp Senior tournament again was successful in 2011 and it had women for the first time. The number of entries this year was 78 exceeding the 63 entries in 2010. Even with the 11 total women entries subtracted, the number of entries was larger in 2011.

The most exciting finals match was without a doubt a real crowd pleaser for the 20 people watching the 55 men’s singles between Wade Frame and Jonathan Bates.  Bates won the first set 6-4 and leading 3-0 with two breaks in the second set when Frame finally got his big forehand and serve to stay in the court.  He roared back to win the second set 6-4 and closed out the match serving at 5 -4 with a solid crosscourt forehand that Bate’s forehand lunged for but could not get enough racket on it and ended in the net.


55 Singles Winner Wade Frame shows off his serving form

A crowd watches the exciting 55 singles match (except maybe the guy reading his paper)







55 Singles Finalist Jonathon Bates shows off his forehand


In the 55 singles consolation, Stephen Sasson defeated Kevin O’Neil to win.


In the 55 doubles, there were only two teams and Mike Kliebhan and John Daley defeated local players Peter Pasciucco and Laurence Pollack 6-0, 6-3.


In 65 singles, 1st seed Rick Klaffky continued his dominance in 2011 by defeating 2nd seed Bob Dunlop 6-0, 6-1 in the final. He was tested in the semifinal by Walt Sadowski, but prevailed 6-3, 6-3.


Phil Ludwig, normally a doubles specialist, beat local player Jason Powell 6-1, 6-3 to take the 65 singles consolation.


There were three 65 doubles teams that played round robin. The team of Ted Underwood and John Fournier won two of three to win the doubles in two close matches against Phil Ludwig and Mark Severs 6-2, 7-5 and against Ken Wall and Dave Fuller 6-0, 4-6, 6-2.



Relaxing and watching good tennis.


With temperatures in the 90s, Nick Ourusoff proved to be an iron man winning both the singles and doubles in the 70s.  With lefty partner George Lynch, they squeaked by the 1st seeds Roy Anderson and Bob Dilworth with a dramatic 7-5 win in the third set.  In singles, Ourusoff in the quarters won a tight match in three sets lasting 3 hours and 45 minutes in sweltering heat over Ray Brodeur.  He saved a game point in the ninth game of the final set and then broke Brodeur at 4-5 after Brodeur saved two match points.  From there Nick rolled in the semis over Whitey Joslin and Roy Anderson in the finals. Nick must have been human after all, as he withdrew from the Clay Slam the next week due to injury.


In the 70s consolations, John Bradbury from NY defeated Gerry Rothman to win the singles and John Bradbury teamed up with Mal Swanson in the doubles and took the doubles by default. They did have one match, defeating the local team of Karl Robinson and Don Grayson 6-1, 6-1 in the 1st consolation round.


In 75 singles, nationally ranked Dick Crawford from California defeated 2nd seed Bob Schmitz from NY 6-2, 6-4 in the finals. In the consolation final, Bob Bridges defeated Mal Swanson in a tough three setter 1-6, 7-6, 7-6.


In the 80 singles, Henry Blodgett from Old Greenwich, CT dominated defeating Marvin Sears 6-1, 6-0 to take the final. Blodgett had previously won the 80 singles at the hard court Slam at Yale also in dominant fashion. There were three 80s doubles teams and they played round robin. Bix Shoemaker and Gerry Smith won both matches to take the 80 doubles title.


70 singles finalist Roy Anderson with winner Nick Orusoff


70 consolation doubles winners John Bradbury and Mal Swanson with Karl Robinson and Don Grayson (the team they played and defeated)




80 doubles winners Bix Shoemaker and Gerry Smith with runner-up team Yutaka Kobayashi (Koby) amd Dick Bowker. Koby played down as he is over 85!





Women were invited to play at the Walter Rapp for the first time in the history of the tournament.  Although the number of entries was modest, the tennis was competitive especially in the 50 doubles finals where Laurie Hall and Hillary Meyers defeated Eve Bendett and Eileen Berry 6-3, 6-2 in a match that contained many long rallies and deuces.  The match was much closer than the scores would indicate.  Margo Chase-Wells won the 60 singles over 1st seed Janet Clay 6-2, 6-0. There was one consolation womens 60 singles won by Judith Platt over Rollie Ernst 6-2, 6-0. There were only two womens 60 doubles teams and Janet Clay and Carolyn Fournier defeated Eileen Berry and Christie Brightwell (from Salt Lake City!) 6-4, 6-4.


Congratulations to Ben Bishop and his staff for an excellent job of keeping the matches moving right along.  The starting times were well scheduled as there was hardly any waiting to get on court.  Plenty of tasty food and beverages were made available during the last 3 days of tournament.  The courts were promptly swept for the third sets and watered appropriately.