Walter Rapp/Shirley Fry Senior Men's and Women's Jubilee Tournament

July 30 - August 2, 2015

by Ray Brodeur


The tournament got started on Thursday afternoon under a vivid blue sky and very warm humid conditions.  The weather turned anti-tennis in the late afternoon.  A torrential downpour descended on the Hartford Tennis Club's 12 clay courts.  Some matches had already been completed but several matches were forced indoors to the Farmington Valley Racquet Club.


Thanks to HTC's grounds keeper, Joe Martin, he and his staff of 4 had the courts in perfect condition by 9 am on Friday.  The weather for the next 3 days was perfect as temperatures reached the high 80s with lots of sun.  The participation for 2015 was substantially higher with 71 players versus just 58 the previous year.


Coincidentally as Friday's matches got underway, a memorial service was being held for Brad Blanchard who had been the Chairman of this tournament for at least the past decade and a participant in USTA senior events over 4 decades including his home club's tournament.  Approximately 900 people paid their respects at his service.  Doc will be missed and never forgotten.


Ben Bishop, HTC's manager and tournament director knows how to run a tournament.  Both players and their guests had plenty of beer, soda, gatorade and wine available throughout the tournament along with a variety of cheeses, crackers, chips, dips, veggies on Friday and assorted sandwiches, vegetables, chocolate chip cookies, raisin oatmeal cookies, etc for the next two days.  Nobody left hungry except for maybe one more win.



Relaxing with the great food, drink, camaraderie and tennis!


In the 55 singles, no. 1 seed Chris Holmes rolled through the draw topping 2 seed Manuel Toppins love and 1 in the finals.  In the 55 doubles final, HTC's Steve King and Steve Murkowicz visiting from Scottsdale squeaked out a 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 win over Toppins and Rob LeRoy.


The 65 singles had a big draw of 15.  There were many close matches in the quarters, semis and finals with no. 1 Paul Shaw outlasting no. 3 Rick Klaffky 3-6, 6-2, 6-1.  In the 65 doubles semi-final, unseeded HTC members Henry Kalman and Pete Pasciucco put a real scare into no. 1 seed Tommie George and George Ulrich before succumbing 6-3, 1-6, 6-3.  The finals witnessed unseeded Bill Busiek and Jon Wilson win a see-saw battle over George and Ulrich.  After dropping the first set 4-6, came back to win the second in a tiebreak and 6-3 in the third.


The 70 singles was won by no. 1 Paul Fein over no. 2 Walt Beatty 6-4, 6-2.  Of note was Bob McAfee's win in a close match over HTC's George Petrykevych 7-5, 7-5.

In  70 doubles, no. 2 seed Peter Allen and John Fournier were not challenged in this tournament as they defeated no. 1 seed Walt Beatty and Tom Diehl 2 and 1.



HTC 65 doubles players Henry Kalman and Peter Paascucco with winners Tommie George and George Ulrich

Did Chris Holmes make this shot?

Men's 70 doubles winners Pete Allen and John Fournier with Bob McAfee and Ted Underwood


The 75 singles was won by no. 4 seed Julien Hennefeld as he lost only 6 games in 3 matches and breezed in the finals over no.1 seed George Lynch 6-0, 6-2.  In the semis Lynch beat HTC's Ray Brodeur for the 11th consecutive time on clay in another long three setter 2-6, 7-5, 6-4.  Brodeur serving at 5-4 in the second set failed to close it out.  The 75 doubles was won by Brodeur-Lynch over no. 1 seed Roy Anderson-Bob Dilworth 6-0, 7-5.


The 80 singles draw of 8 provided some very close matches.  In the quarter finals, no. 1 seed George Boyce had a tough match with Charles Morris winning 6-4, 6-2 and Dick Mount finally prevailed over Mike Margolies 6-3, 6-4.  Boyce rolled over Mount in the semis 1 and 0 while unseeded Peter Reiss overcame no. 2 seed Bill Schmid in a heated, not weather related, match in nearly 3 hours 7-6, 2-6, 6-3. 

The finals was another grueling long back and forth match with Reiss winning the first set over Boyce 9-7 in the tiebreak.  Boyce bounced back to win the second set 6-3.  Reiss dug in and won a tight third set 6-4.



W50 HTC doubles players Ann Marie Schumsky, Eve Bendett with 1st round opponents Elizabeth Crabtree and Virginia Garratt

M80 singles winner Peter Reiss relaxing after winning two tough three set matches in the semis and finals to win

W50 doubles winners Laurie Weinstein (on left) and Courtia Worth (on right) with 1st round opponents Rebecca Fishman and Esther Aronson (in middle)


There was no women's 50 singles but the 50 doubles had probably the most exciting final match of the tournament.  In 3 long sets, Esther Aronson and Rebecca Fishman eventually won over HTC members Eve Bendett and Ann Marie Schumsky 7-6. 6-7(5), 6-4.


The women's 60 singles was won by no.1 seed Denise Brousseau over HTC member and no. 2 seed Lynn Kaufman 6-2, 6-4.  In a 60 doubles round-robin, unseeded Carolyn Fournier and Lynn Miller were the champs by defeating HTC's Nancy Bacall and Carol Breakey Rozzi 6-4, 6-2 and no.1 seed Denise Brosseau-Caroline Cormier 6-4, 6-1.



W60 singles winner Denise Brosseau in action

The winner's prize!

W60 doubles winners Lynn Miller and Carolyn Fournier in



 Thanks to Ben Bishop for again running a very successful tournament!